- FEED Nova Scotia serves more than 150 member agencies in communities across the province. They include food banks, meal programs, soup kitchens, school programs and shelters.
Local Sustainable Food Option
- ACORN Atlantic Canada Organic Regional Network: find local organic food through this site, or join ACORN as a producer or retailer.
- Bonnymans' Blueberries (Cumberland/Colchester fields) Offering spray-free wild blueberries, and wood-fired maple syrup: check out this facebook page, to see when Angus is coming to a farmer's market near you.
- Broadfork Farm (River Hebert) a new farm with a mission to:
- provide a year-round, diverse selection of tasty and nutritious, hand-tended vegetables; carefully harvested to share with their community at local farmers’ markets.
- use sustainable farming practices (following organic standards): minimizing the use of non-renewable resources; preserving and enhancing soil structure and fertility; expanding biological diversity on their farm through planting perennial crops, raising appropriate livestock, and creating wildlife habitats.
- maintain a farm scale that is manageable and inspiring for the labour on the farm, relying on the physical and intellectual power of human effort, being economically viable to sustain ourselves.
- contribute to the health and well-being of the community by empowering conscious eaters with sustainable and nourishing food choices and connections to their local food system; engage their community by providing information and inspiration for healthy and local eating through excellent customer service, farm tours, and community events.
- Nature's Route Farm (near NS/NB border) Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) packages & farmer's markets: (pickups in Amherst and Sackville, NB).
- Holdanca Farms (Wallace Bay) Free range meat and eggs. Pasture raised animals free of antibiotics, growth hormones.
- Oxford Frozen Food (Oxford) Available for wholesale only.
- Pinnacle Farms (Roslin) Organic food and feed, compassionately raised organic heritage meat and eggs, homeopathic animal medications. sales(at)pinnaclefarms.ca
- Waldegrave Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) packages & farmer's markets (pickups in Tatamagouche, Truro, Halifax areas).
- Wysmykal Farm (Chapman Settlement) a wide vartiety of tasty certified organic vegetables are available through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) packages, a farm stand on the property (1121 Chapman Settlement Rd), and the Sackville NB farmer's market. Wysmykal Farm is a small farm committed to sustainable growing practices, owned and operated by Charles Ryan and Jessy Wysmyk.The farm also sports a small hop yard.
- Cumberland Health Authority health care services (see also the "Cumberland County Helping Tree (PDF)")
- Amherst Pharmasave158 Robert Angus Drive, Amherst
- LA Animal Shelter Looking for a new pet or volunteer opportunity? The Lillian Allbon Animal Shelter is an independent shelter which cares for stray or neglected dogs and cats in Cumberland County. It is based just outside Amherst, and is run mainly by volunteers.
- Bay of Fundy Tourism
- Joggins Fossil Cliffs
- Cape Chignecto Provincial Park
- Cape D’or
- Ebb Tide: Port Greville bed and breakfast
- Nova Shores Sea Kayaking
- Wild Caraway: Advocate Restaurant
- Gloosecap Trail
- Pugwash Village
- Amherst Shore Provincial Park
- Wallace By The Sea
- Northumberland Links Golf
- Jost Wine
- CREDA Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association
- Insuring Old Homes in Nova Scotia (PDF)
- Nova Scotia Tourism, Culture & Heritage - Heritage Division
- Community Museum Culture
- Special Places Protection
- The Nova Scotia Historic Places Initiative
- Nova Scotia Museum
- Cumberland County Genealogy Centre
- Springhill Heritage Group
- Cumberland County Heritage Network
- Cumberland County Heritage Network Blog
Note that this is by no means a comprehensive list of Cumberland County destinations and links.
Please contact us with your suggestions.